Cough is one of the body’s ways to remove foreign material or mucus from the lungs and throat. The lungs and lower respiratory passages become sterile. It is a common symptom when the airways become tight.
There are generally two classifications of cough
- Acute Coughs usually begin suddenly. They are often due to a cold , flu , or sinus infection. They do not last any longer than 2-3 weeks.
- Chronic Coughs are those which last longer 2-3 weeks. Chronic coughs may also be accompanied with mucus.
Causes of Cough
- Common cold
- Congestive heart failure
- Lung cancer
- Sinus infection
- Viral infection etc.
Symptoms of Cough
- Body aches
- Sore throat
- Sinus pressure
- Runny nose
- Night sweats
- Postnasal drip
Home Remedies for Cough
- Grapes help a great deal in treating cold in a few days. Consume 1 cup grape juice and also add 1-teaspoon honey to it.
- Extracted juice of ginger with honey take three or four times a day is an excellent remedy for coughs and cold.
- Mix 3 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 cup honey, and 1/4 cup warm water and take two teaspoons daily.
- Hot tea with lemon and rasberry jam, drink as much as possible.
- Almonds are highly beneficial for patients suffering from dry cough. They should be soaked in water for sometime and a fine paste should be made after removing brown skin with 20 grams of butter and sugar. This paste should be taken twice a day in the morning and evening.
- Extract the juice from the onions, mix it with honey and take it 2-3 times a day. It’s an excellent cough syrup.
- Drink hot milk with honey at bedtime.
- Turmeric plant is useful in a dry cough. The root should he roasted and powdered. This powder should be taken in three gram doses twice daily, in the morning and evening.
- The herb belleric myroblan is a household remedy for a cough. A mixture comprising two grams of the pulp of the fruit, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of long pepper, and 2 teaspoons of honey should be administered for the treatment of this condition twice daily. The dried fruit covered with wheat flour and roasted , is another popular remedy for cough condition.
- Aniseed is another effective remedy for a hard dry cough with difficult expectoration. It breaks up the mucus. A tea made from this spice should be taken regularly for treating this condition.
- Grind 100 grams of raisins with water and add about 100 grams of sugar and heat the mixture till it turns saucy. This sauce formed should be taken in a doze of 20 grams at bedtime daily.